Tuesday 30 July 2013

Liquid Stevia: IMO


As you can see, I recently ordered a buttload of stevia to stock up on. 
I've been a Stevia user for about 9 months now, but only in the powdered form. It's served me well, but I've always been curious about the liquid brothers and sisters that have Instagram foodies all in an uproar.
So, a couple of weeks and an iHerb bill later, I got this shipment. I bought two different flavours:
Vanilla
English Toffee
Both smell great, but there were a few things I noticed when I decided to make my crushed ice slushy (see below)

I don't have any problems with the powdered stevia. I even wrote a post about it earlier, but for some reason I seem to have reactions with it in liquid form.
The taste, again, takes getting used to. However, it had a tinge of alcohol-y flavour as an after taste, which wasn't my favourite thing in the world. 
I put about 5-6 drops of liquid stevia in a liter of water, froze it, then crushed it up in my processor. Chopped up a few dates for texture and flavour and sat down with an episode of QI to enjoy.
It was yummy, no doubt, but I started feeling a bit odd. I read about certain symptoms that people experienced so I had an idea of what i was going through. Even though I had just finished a crazy workout, I knew that the light-headedness and bloating was not related (to the workout, that is). I also felt slightly numb, which was a bit alarming. All of these symptoms disappeared within an hours worth of time.
I have a feeling it's because it was just put in water, so it might have gotten absorbed much faster than other ways (for example if it was used in baking).
Either way, I've cut it out and have stuck to powdered stevia (again, in moderation).
There's my take on it. I'm going to test it out again in much smaller doses and in my paleo muffins to see if it has the same effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment