Thursday 27 June 2013

Good Eats : Vegan Guilt-free Avocado Chocolate Mousse

Avocados: some love 'em, some are delusional.
Holy guacamole? Close enough.

You might not think of dessert when you hear the word 'avocado', but in fact, this bodacious berry makes one of the smoothest and creamiest mousses I've ever had the pleasure of nomming.

Sweet cravings are never celebrated, but for someone who's been eating paleo and mostly vegan, I decided to stick to it and kill my cravings without going off the deep end and eating an entire bar of chocolate (or worse!)..




I've been known to scour through the pretty Pintrest boards for recipes and inspiration, and I've always seen these healthy desserts placed in perfectly lit pictures depicting guilt-free indulgences that promise to satisfy the foodiest of all foodie cravings without the setbacks nutrition-wise.

So I tried it out. And I love it.

I mean, why not? Avocado? Cocoa? Raspberries and blueberries (my toppings on choice)? What's there not to love?!

So let's get on with the recipe:

I eye-balled it but these measurements should come out right....

SERVES 2-3 PEOPLE

1 ripe avocado
1 heaped spoon of organic/raw cocoa
Approx 1/4 cup coconut milk (OR almond milk OR rice milk, whatever your substitute is) Add as much as you need to make the consistency NOT clumpy, but not too much to make a runny chocolate paste.
Vanilla essence (I used one vanilla bean)
Sweeten to your liking with either HONEY or COCONUT SUGAR. (I don't recommend Stevia here because it can add a slight bitterness afterwards.)



HOW:
Simply mash up the avocado and add in the other ingredients. You can blend with a hand mixer or in a food processor, but I just mixed it by hand with a whisk.
Pop it in the fridge for a little while to firm up slightly and then serve with your toppings of choice.

I mixed in come shredded coconut and vanilla with a tspn of coconut milk so
Since I have some berries in the fridge already I decided to plop them in a bowl and enjoy them alongside the mousse for an extra yum factor.

And, here it is:







 ENJOY guilt free yumminess!!


No comments:

Post a Comment